287. Subject: ESL education. Dr. Sadek, I just visited your ESL website. I am a teacher in Columbus, Ohio and will be traveling to Houston and San Luis Potosi, Mexico in August. I am currently working toward a 'new' teaching license with an emphasis on the ESL student. Do you know of anyone in Houston that I could meet with regarding ESL programs in Texas? I appreciate your assistance. Your website is extremely helpful.
THANKS for visiting my Web Sites!!! Wish you the BEST of trips to a beautiful and most interesting part of Mexico!!!! Thank you also for your positive comment concerning my Web Sites. I appreciate your sharing your question and comment with me. Also I wish you success in your work towards your ESL endorsement.
I am sure that if you call the Houston Independent School District in Houston, Texas, they will direct your call to their very extensive English-As-A-Second Language Department. I am sure any of the ESL teachers or coordinators will be glad to be of assistance to you. I have given your name to several friends I have in different areas of Texas, and I am sure you will be hearing from them with some more specific recommendations.
I admire your professionalism to take time off your vacation --I am sure-- to learn more about your students and your new teaching emphasis. Congratulations. C.S.S.
Thank you so much for your quick response and encouragement. I appreciate your recommendations very much and look forward to hearing from your friends in Texas.
For more in-depth information, classroom demonstrations, and "coaching" of new and/or experienced teachers, Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK offers:
1. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
2. Cross Cultural Diversity - Multicultural Strategies
3. Effective Instruction for English Learners (L.E.P. students) Parts 1, 2, 3, 4
4. Promoting Academic Success in Language Minority Students
5. Cognitive - Academic Language and Vocabulary Development
6. Oral Language / Literacy Skills / Higher Order Thinking Skills
7. 50/50 Dual Language Programs: design, planning and implementation
8. The Structure of English / The Structure of Spanish
9. Transition: Introduction to English Reading
Web Site Programs for Teachers: Numbers 1, 5, 7, 8, and 9.
Web Site Programs for Paraprofessionals: Number 3.
Web Site Programs for New Teachers:
Enhanced Cultural Sensitivity - The Challenge of Students Diversity
Identifying / Responding to Students' Language Needs
Phonemic Awareness: Teaching English phonics to L.E.P. students
Relationship Between Reading, Writing and Spelling
Improving Reading Performance -- Building Oral Language Skills)
Write and e-mail any additional questions you may have, and Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will establish with you, your school or district a Technical Assistance Service Contract. Dr. CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK will answer all your questions promptly and to your satisfaction.
For information and credentials please click on the link below or contact directly:
CARMEN SANCHEZ SADEK, Ph.D.
Educational Consultant, Program Evaluator
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, Certification (12/2006)
3113 Malcolm Avenue, Los Angeles, California 90034-3406
Phone and Fax: (310) 474-5605